The Vinyl Cutter in the media lab can be used to make simple and complex decals that can be affixed to most surfaces!
Now, you are ready to prepare your image using Adobe Illustrator
1. Open Adobe Illustrator and create your image.
If you want to use an already-made image, select the image and click on “Image Trace” in the top bar. After clicking Image Trace, the button will change to “Expand”. Click on Expand.
After creating your image, go to File > Cutting Master 2 > Cut/Plot
2. Then, this window will pop up. If your graphic isn’t already in the lower right corner, place it there by clicking and dragging in the preview area. Cutting Master 2 is able to detect the size of the vinyl as well as the placement of the cutters, so you generally don’t need to adjust the size and settings options
6. Get tape (ask a Media Lab monitor for tape) and place the adhesive side onto the color side of the vinyl. Rub it down vigorously, especially over your cut area!! You can use a card to really press down on the tape. This is important!
7. Remove the tape slowly. It helps to pull straight up rather than at an angle
8. Now, you’re ready to affix it onto a surface!
Place it on, vigorously rub, and slowly remove.
Remember, you can always ask a Media Lab Monitor for help!